Sunday, November 10, 2019

Magazine- Genre Research (Motor Trend)


I have decided that I will be creating an automotive magazine. The first magazine that came to mind when I decided to do this topic was one of the magazines, I am a patron of, Motor Trend. As I looked through all of the issues I had received over the years, I began to notice many reoccurring design features. Basically, there were two categories of cover. The standard cover usually features a picture from the feature article as well as a short description of the article. Also, there is usually a smaller inserted picture from one of the smaller articles with another short description in smaller font towards the bottom of the cover. The magazine’s title is always written at the top of the page in the same font and usually in white or colors that reflect the cover photo. Alternatively, on the occasion that a new very important, exciting, or long awaited car has been launched, the magazine will feature either one or several shots of just that car, with a few stats about the car listed on the page, and no other text or picture (aside from the title). Also, every issue has TEN PUBLISHING written somewhere on the cover. The rear cover is almost always an advertisement for a car company. Inside the magazine, many of the articles are either car reviews or car comparisons, along with monthly articles outlining news from the automotive industry or from auto-sports news, shorter articles about the magazine itself, and editorials. Advertisements appear somewhat sporadically but can consistently be found toward the beginning and end of the magazine, as well as in between articles. Ads consistently target an adult audience, and furthermore, an audience that would have need for automotive related items or accessories. The table of contents and articles are dominated by pictures of the cars being tested and reviewed by the magazine. The distribution number of this magazine is 1,019,113 (as of February 2017). I could not find motor trend being nominated for any awards.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Submission

For my final submission, I planned on re-shooting the photo of the car's interior in the main article. I also planned on gathering...