Thursday, November 14, 2019

Magazine- Genre Research (Top Gear)

The third magazine I researched in preparation for my project was Top Gear. This UK based automotive magazine had a very different feel to the other two. While both of the previous magazines have a strong social media presence that includes YouTube channels, Top Gear has an entire show on BBC and BBC America. As such, the magazine has a much more interactive feel for the readers. The general layout of the magazine is much the same however. The table of contents is dominated by pictures of the cars reviewed in the magazine, and the articles mainly consisted of car reviews and comparisons between new cars. However, this magazine also included many tie ins to the Top Gear TV show, including editorials and interviews by/with the show hosts. This magazine also includes a car buying guide in the back. The cover is structured largely the same as the other magazines I've researched, with the title being in the a consistent font but varying in color based on the color scheme of the cover photo. The cover photo itself usually reflected one the main feature article of that months magazine with additional information about that issues contents placed on the cover's perimeter. One significant difference between this magazine and the ones I had looked at before was the advertisements inside. Although this may be primarily due to the fact that this magazine is based in the UK as opposed to the US, the magazine ads for things like household appliances, online services, beauty products, and a variety of European based companies such as IKEA. The circulation number for this magazine was averaged 150,884 in 2014, and despite how the TV show won several notable awards, including and Emmy, I was unable to find any awards that the magazine itself was nominated for.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Submission

For my final submission, I planned on re-shooting the photo of the car's interior in the main article. I also planned on gathering...